Not a member yet? Register now and get started.

lock and key

Sign in to your account.

Account Login

Forgot your password?

My name is Steve Young and I am a retired California Highway Patrol Officer. I will also be your instructor in one of the online traffic courses with B Line Traffic Schools. No matter what course you sign up for, my goals are the same: Present you with the information that you need in a way that will not put you to sleep and then get you back to your life.  Throughout some of the courses I have included interesting situations, people and other random things I have come across in my 25+ years with the CHP to break things up a bit. Ok ok, enough about me. Close this window and start your course with B Line Traffic Schools today.

Attending College in California?

01 Jun Blog | Comments

Out-of-state tuition can be pricey. To gain residency in the state of California and only pay in-state tuition, there are a couple of guidelines.

Some students claim California residency in order to save on tuition fees but attempt to maintain the driver license and vehicle registration from the state in which they moved from.  However, as soon as California residency is claimed, it is required to apply for a California driver’s license and register the vehicle within 10 days. However, it is perfectly legal to neither get a new license or vehicle registration is out-of-state tuition fees are going to be paid, making the student a non-California resident.

If an out-of-state student chooses to gain employment in California, he/she will be considered a California resident and will need to comply with the California resident guidelines.

The other misconception people, not only college students have is that as long as the vehicle they are driving is registered to a person outside the state of California, they are not required to register the vehicle in California.  This is done quite often to avoid paying California registration fees.  Unfortunately, this is not true.  College student or not, if a person is deemed to be a resident of California and are the primary driver of a vehicle regardless of who its legal owner is you are required to register that vehicle in California.


Comments are closed.